Thursday, 3 April 2014

Vogue - May Edition - First Impressions

Hi there lovely people, 

So today, as explained in a previous post, is one of the most exciting days of my month... Vogue delivery day. I know that might seem a bit ridiculous to a lot of people, but I am a magazine freak and I can honestly say that I enjoy nothing more than relaxing on my couch with a cup of coffee and my magazine in hand. It's the absolute definition of blissful. In the 2 hours or so that it takes to read it from cover to cover, I am transported into a beautiful world filled with fashion and culture, and surrounded by every possible beauty accessory a girl could ever want. 

So anyway, onto this months edition. 

The May cover has been graced with none other than Kate Moss - her 3rd cover in the space of 12 months, prompting this months theme... "The Great British Model Takeover". 


So like myself, I'm sure a few of you would love to know a bit more about her "cover look" so here you go...

She is wearing: Beaded Jacket £225, Sequinned Chiffon Trapeze top £75 (Kate Moss Topshop).


Her makeup: Face - Rimmel Stay Blushed (Sunkissed Cherry), Lips - Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick (Latino).


Her hair: Kérastase - Mousse Bouffante, Kérastase - Spray a Porter Tousled Effect Spray.

Ok so enough about the cover - let's get into the content!

I will hit smack right in the face when I turned the first page to find, quite simply, the most fabulous bag I have ever seen (this often changes with each new edition). It is the Ralph Lauren "Ricky Chain Bag", and although it is shown in the image in red, it is in fact only available in black or white in the UK. 

Stunning eh??? The entire collection is inspire by Ralph's wife Ricky, hence the name. He describes the collection in the following way: "Classic to me means things that are timeless and enduring, the things that never go out of style" and let me tell you, there are not many women who would describe this as having no place in their collection. Timeless indeed.  

The second thing that caught my eye (before I even got to the contents page) was the Lady Dior Bag advert, brought to you through the effortlessly elegant Marion Cotillard(best known for blockbuster movies such as Inception and The Dark Knight Rises). 


These stunning images were taken by none other than Jean-Baptiste Mondino, the esteemed French Fashion Photographer and Music Video Director. And that bag... that ridiculously stylish and exquisite accessory, is available not only in that pop of fuchsia (Toxic Purple Lambskin), but another 11 styles and colours including "Green Tweed" and "Embroidered Satin". I've been unable to find a price for this item, but estimate that it be anything between £1500 and £2500 in the UK. 

This months edition also includes a tribute to the recently passed Beatrix Miller, the editor of British Vogue from 1964 to 1986. Being a photographer myself, one of the things she did (as well as revolutionising the magazine), was introduce and helped thrive, the careers of amazingly talented photographers such as David Bailey, Patrick Demarchelier (mentioned in my previous Vogue post), and Mario Testino. 


So onto one of the things I've now added to my beauty wishlist, and this item should be of no surprise to anyone due to my absolute adoration of Red lipstick. 


So last months Lip of choice was brought to you from Dolce & Gabbana's Classic Cream Lipstick, which has since been made available at Harrods. However, this months choice - Dior Addict Fluid Stick (the one coat do-it-all hybrid lip fluid) is screaming out at me and is already available for purchase in the UK at Debenhams for the meagre amount of £26! 

So I posted a few days ago about my fashion wishlist including a lot of floral prints right now, and this trend is confirmed as absolutely on the button on pages 69, 70 and 72, with the fashion editors choices ranging from an LK Bennett shift dress at £245 (1), a vibrant little silk number from Nina Ricci at £1980 (2), and a beautiful little silk piece from Stella McCartney at £920 (3).


I've also read one of the most outstanding pieces of writing in this edition. It is a piece written by Kate Gross, a cancer sufferer, tragically afflicted with a terminal form of the disease. In her article, she writes so eloquently about the place material items have in her life, and how she hasn't let her awful prognosis change the person that she is. It is truly a remarkable read, and you can read more from her on her blog at kateelizabethgross.wordpress.com.

Another of the beauty must-haves this month, is the new Tom Ford Eye & Cheek Palette. It boasts some gorgeous rose and peachy coral shades for the cheeks as well as a bold pop of cobalt blue for those eyes. It is utterly divine and can be found, of course, at Harrods for the rather high end cost of £68... but come on... it's Tom Ford!


The final few pieces I had added to my beauty wish list can be found on  the "20 Beauty Updates For Spring" article on page 231. Firstly is the new Burberry Nail Polish in Pale Yellow. It's only £15 and can be bought directly from the Burberry site.


My 2nd choice is the Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Gloss Stick in Coral Reef. You already know I have a thing for coral this spring, and this lip product is an absolute must-have for anybody with the same amount of love I have for this colour. It can be found at boots for £17, but there are several dupes available from the likes of Revlon, at a much cheaper cost if that's just too pricey.


And finally, and to finish up this super long post, I am adding the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Brow Loft Duo. This little genius tool is a brow pencil with 12 hours of staying power that shapes, fills and defines your brows, as well as brightening and creating a lift under the arch of your brow. I am really not very good at doing my brows and have been looking around for a product to help me perfect my brow skills, and this seems to be perfect. It is £19, comes in 4 different shades and can be bought directly from Estee Lauder.



Ok, so I apologies for this rather lengthy post, but this months Vogue was definitely worthy of all of these words. If you've made it to the end (I commend you) and you're not completely bored out of your mind,  then you should really go and buy yourself a copy as there is sooooo much more content I haven't even touched on. But anyway, enough from me for the minute... but remember I will be posting again later with today's Photo Challenge submission. I promise it will not be Vogue related!

Take care lovelies. x

No comments:

Post a Comment